Remember back in 2008-2009 when the “25 things” phenomenon was spreading like wildfire on Facebook? You know, you would just post a note with 25 random things about yourself. So simple, yet everyone became obsessed with it and it was the “it” thing to do for a few months.
I happened to look at my 25 things post from January 28, 2009 the other day and I thought it was interesting to see what has changed since then. It was like reading a virtual diary from FB from nearly 2 and a half years ago. Let me set the scene for this blast from the past.
On January 28th, 2009 this was my FB profile pic:
Oh so tan and oh so blonde. And several pounds lighter, too.
I was living in Columbus, Ohio. It was the winter quarter of graduate school just 6 months away from graduation. I was working as an Assistant Hall Director at Ohio State which was a GA position that allowed me to work part-time and then paid me a stipend and paid for my schooling in full (oh yea, it also provided free housing and a free meal plan…talk about luxury!). I had not yet begun my job search and I was in a failing relationship with a former friend from college (not one of my brighter dating moments, might I add).
And now, here are my 25 things from 2009 and my thoughts on them 2 and a half years later. I’ve also added a few pictures to set the scene. Obviously those weren’t there in the orignal FB post, but a blog without pictures is not much fun to look at.
1. I adore snow days! Since I have the pleasure of a snow day today this came to mind. I remember in elementary school listening late at night for the phone to ring (my dad was the principal of my school) meaning the superintendent was calling to cancel! It was always the best sound 😛
I don’t really remember the snow that caused that snow day, but to this day I still love snow days (and surprisingly we get them occasionally here in TX). I admitted to loving snow as my first thing in this post. Yet, little did I know, 6 months later I’d move to the land of no seasons and perpetually hot weather.
2. I’m so excited to graduate and hopefully find my dream job. I’ve always loved school and I’ve really enjoyed this past year and a half w/ my cohort, but it is time to move on. I’m just so over the reading, writing, reading, and writing over and over again in every class I take. Have a Saturday night free..at least without homework to do…will be amazing.
Two thoughts come to mind here. A – my first job out of grad school was rough and far from a “dream” job. I think I’m still searching for that “dream”. B – what I would not GIVE to go back to grad school. If someone invented a time machine I would go back to 2009 and tell myself to suck it up, do the reading and the writing, and enjoy because it was one hell of a GOOD time! Working 40+ hours a week and being trapped in an office all day is not all it’s cracked up to be.
3. I love movies and have an ever growing DVD collection. My favs are Rom Coms and classic horror flicks. Yes I know these are total opposites! A few of my favs are: The Holiday, Psycho, Halloween, Seven, How to Lose a Guy, and Love Actually.
Yep, those are still some of my favs. However, I rarely buy DVDs anymore. Boyfriend’s subscription to Netflix takes care of my movie needs. Plus, moving those DVDs all the time is a b*tch.
4. While on the topic of horror films I feel it is necessary to comment on my fascination with the criminal mind. If I had to pick a change of career I would want to be some sort of crime scene investigator or criminal psychologist. This was actually my first major/intention in college and sometimes I wonder if it was a good idea I changed paths. I read a lot of books/websites about famous criminal cases.
Still kind of true. Still kind of weird. Don’t judge me for this.
5. I think I was born into the wrong time period. I love anything from the late 40s, 50s, and early 60s. The clothes, the movies, the TV shows etc. I collect a lot of I Love Lucy stuff and love old advertisements.
Still very true.
6. I am obsessed with Mexican food. I could eat it every day and probably would if it didn’t make me fat 😛
I didn’t even know what Mexican food was back then!! Oh man, I practically do eat it every day now and yep it’s kind of made me fat since moving to TX 😛
7. I miss sit coms. While I like TV dramas and reality shows I think TV needs to bring back the wonder that is the sit com. Friends, Perfect Strangers, Mad About You…just some of my favs.
Thankfully, I do think TV is starting to come back around to creating more sit coms and fewer dramas/reality shows.
8. Up until now the favorite year of my life has been my sophomore year at Kent. It was just so much fun, so care free, and mostly drama free. It was the year I joined Alpha Phi, met many of my best college friends, and was in the best shape of my life. I would say my life was pretty near perfect. If I could go back in time I would go back to that year in a heartbeat!
This is still accurate, but I’d also have to add the grad school years (especially the first one) as a close 2nd. Man, we had a ton of fun. Oh yea, and the year I met Michael 😉
9. While on the topic, I will always love Kent State and look upon all of my years there extremely fondly. I hated it (ironically) my Freshman year. I called my mom nightly crying, begging her to let me move home. In the end I stuck it out and returned for my sophomore year and the rest is history. Some things I miss about Kent: the old school hub and my dinner dates soph year with my bests, A Phi, the first warm day in the spring, Rays Place, Ladies nights, Gyro, Kent in the fall (most amazing trees), Song Fest, Bid Days, the carefree life of an undergrad, dorm life, BLACK SQUIRRELS!! 🙂
Tis true. I ❤ Kent State forever!! One day I’ll do a series of posts about some of the great things at Kent. It’s such a wonderful little college town and I miss it dearly.
10. My friends mean the world to me and I consider myself a very loyal friend. I hate losing touch with people and have made it my new years resolution to do a better job at keeping in touch. I’ve been friends with Jess since we were 5, and I know many of my college friends will be with me forever. I’ve also made some amazing friends during my time here at OSU and feel extremely grateful for all of the amazing people I have in my life.
This one just makes me a little sad. As always, I’ve lost touch with some of my grad school friends and more of the Kent State friends have drifted away, too. The older we get, the harder it is to maintain those bonds 😦 Jess is still here, though. I’ll never be able to get rid of her haha!
11. My family is very important to me and I always (well usually) have fun spending time at home. I look exactly like my mom…so much at times that it is scary! I look nothing like my sister…I still think she was adopted 😛
It’s still hard for me to believe sometimes that I moved so far away from my family. Now, visits home are like vacation and I treasure them.
12. I’ve never broken a bone, but did sprain my ankle very badly at Kent…not a fun experience!
Still true, thank God!
13. I love working out. Noting is better than that after workout high and I wish I had the motivation to get up really early on the busy days to fit in a workout! Maybe I’ll work on that.
Uh, yea. 2 and a half years later and I’m still “working on that”. Egads…time to get my lazy ass out of bed in the mornings!
14. M&Ms are my favorite candy, but in all honesty I don’t really discriminate when it comes to chocolate!
Now that there’s the pretzel M&M there’s another kind for me to love! Still addicted
15. I love the Shopaholic books. I realize that makes me sound shallow and not very intellectual, but they are such a fun read! I’m so excited for the movie to come out in a few weeks!
Eh, the movie was not that good and I’ve found books I like a lot better since then. I still read mostly chick-lit. I can’t help myself.
16. I hate being judged because I am blonde. Hair color does not equal intelligence nor does one’s ability to have fun. I love proving people wrong though when they make snap judgments.
I am blonde. Hear me roar! I even named my blog after my hair.
17. I was a swimmer when I was younger and I miss it a lot. Sometimes I have dreams that I am swimming laps and someday I want to get back into swimming shape again.
Um, still have not done that…
18. Pictures make me happy. I always enjoy looking at old pics from HS or college and the memories they bring back. I try to take as many pictures as possible because I never want to forget the good times I have!
Having memories through photographs is one of the reasons I started this blog. I still try to take pictures as often as possible.
19. I’ve always wanted a pet cow. Someday I want to have a decent amount of land…and just one cow!
I now live in “cow town”. How fitting!
20. I’m totally obsessed w/ fall. The colors, smells, baked goods, football, halloween etc. etc. It is the best time of year on a college campus and the weather is beautiful. I wish it could be fall all year long!
Ughhhh…this one makes me really sad too. Other than the people, the number one thing I miss about Ohio (ok, aside from OSU and Kent too) is the fall. I always get really really sad when October rolls around because it’s still hot down here and the leaves don’t change. What I wouldn’t give to have those crisp fall days again.
21. Although I’m somewhat terrified to get old, I do like this time in my life. I’m able to support myself, have grown-up fun with my friends, see my friends get engaged and married, take trips, etc.
Psh…”old”, please…girl you were 26, you don’t know what “old” is. What a b*tch.
22. I am an ESFJ…this is for my grad school friends b/c they might be the only ones that understand. It could not be more true though! Basically I am an outgoing person concerned with the welfare of others…and I have to always be on time!! haha
I’ve felt significantly less “E” since moving to TX because I find it’s harder to meet people here especially when I come from such a different area. However, I still test ESFJ. If you know me, you know my “J” defines me.
23. I love music, especially 80s music and anything with a good beat that I can dance to. Sometimes (ok most of the time) I put on my iPod in the morning and dance around my apartment when I am getting ready. It is a great form of stress relief. I also tie memories to songs…any song older than 6 mos. will remind me of something!
Ok, what the heck, now I put on the news in the morning and there is most definitely no dancing. When did I get old?!? The dancing in the morning is coming back, stat.
24. I enjoy watching sports and would have to say basketball is my fav. I forgot how much I liked it until I went to OSU games last year.
Yep, love me some good basketball. Football season is my favorite sports “season” though. It was back then, too. I just failed to mention it.
25. Some of my biggest pet peeves: not returning phone calls, chewing with your mouth open, people who are too go with the flow…I need schedules!, and the rubbing together or silverware or anything metal for that matter…it is like nails on a chalkboard for me!
Those are still peeves, especially that go with the flow thing 🙂